Friday, November 3, 2017

QUILT OF VALOR



Yesterday, I had the privilege of working on a Quilt of Valor for Joan, a new customer.  The mission of the Quilts of Valor Foundation is to cover service members and veterans touched by war with comforting and healing Quilts of Valor.  If you have never heard of QOV, you can find out more about the organization here.

After an unforeseen circumstance kept Joan's regular long arm quilter from completing her quilt by her deadline, she contacted Roberts Sewing Center for the names of other quilters in the area, and found me.

Joan brought me the quilt top, backing, and batting on Wednesday evening, and I finished quilting it the next afternoon, in time for her to bind it and present it to the veteran to take with him on an Honor Flight this Saturday.  You can read about Honor Flights here, and see how they honor our veterans. 



Here are a few photos of Joan's quilt, plus some video showing the actual quilting process.  I used the digital quilting pattern called "Nouveau Feathers", purchased from Urban Elementz, which, when used with patriotic quilts, gives the feeling of blowing wind.  The thread I used was YLI White cotton. 



 










In the first video, you can see the screen of the Android tablet that contains the Quilt Magician software that runs the quilting robot.




I was so happy that I was able to assist Joan in honoring her veteran.  She was happy, too, and brought me another quilt top when she picked up the QOV.  Thanks, Joan!

No comments:

Post a Comment