Wednesday, October 17, 2012

MY PRIZE WINNING QUILT - SUNSET ON THE CORAL SEA


My original idea for this quilt was to make it in all blues, greens and teals.  But when I went to the quilt shop and saw all the beautiful batik fabrics, I decided to use more colors.  I asked the store clerk to cut 1/8 yard of every batik in the store!  I brought them home, folded each piece into a small square and laid them out on the floor.  My husband Bill and I kept rearranging the squares until we were happy with the colors.  I paper-pieced the blocks, and after I assembled them, I decided to add the piano keys border.  I quilted it with an original design on my Gammill Classic long arm quilting machine, which I owned from 2001 to 2004.  This quilt won second place in the 2003 Heritage Quilters Guild Bi-Annual Quilt Show in the "Large Quilts" class.  It now has a place of honor on a prominent wall in my home, illuminated by art lighting.

I call it "Sunset on the Coral Sea."  The coral is in the center, the beach is on the bottom left, the waves are crashing in from the right bottom corner, the waning sunset is on the top right and the night sky is coming in at the top left.

No comments:

Post a Comment